- About 1 kg shoulder of lamb
- 1 leek, trimmed
- 3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 swede, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 100 g pearl barley
- fresh parsley
- sea salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- olive oil
- About 4 litres water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 pimento seeds
Put the meat in a large pan with the water. Bring to the boil. Add pimento seeds, bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Simmer for an hour.
Heat the olive oil in large frying pan then add the carrots, onions, celery sticks and leek and sweat them on a low heat for about 20 minutes, until they are softened.
Add the carrot, onion, celery sticks and leek and return to boil and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Add the swede, potato and pearl barley, then simmer for further 50 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve sprinkled with parsley.